Saturday, October 17, 2009

Food as sex

Now Rosie has finally taken the plunge I'm free to write about a much more important topic - food! I had a delightful time today writing about Rosie and Nick sharing a meal together. The menu included a few of my favourites but not my ultimate favourite - blue cheese wontons. I drew on my reaction to blue cheese wontons to describe Rosie's enjoyment of her fish dish. I may be alone in my appreciation of Chow's blue cheese wontons but I doubt it. The only downside is I really can't eat them in company.  I believe Oliver may have been mentally scarred by my first experience of them.

Describing food is a great exercise. Ultimately you want the reader to be able to taste the food.  The lemon and capers in Rosie's fish dish should not only burst onto her and Nick's taste buds but also the reader's.  I guess one is successful when the reader needs to put the book down and go and find something to eat!

Anyway, books such as Chocolat have already illustrated the concept of food as sex and I think it works very well.  Sharing food is an intimate experience and writing about Rosie and Nick enjoying their meals and sharing tastes acted as an excellent foil for the sexual tension rising between them. I even got over my absolute aversion to people sharing food from the same plate or, shudder, same fork, to let Rosie and Nick feed each other.

So today has been a very successful one...and now I think I need to find something to eat!

Today's beautiful word
Refulgent radiating or as if radiating light


Today's word count: 1587 words
Total word count: 20751 words

No comments:

Post a Comment