Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The mood for writing

Since arriving in Wellington I have become even more aware of how emotion and how you are feeling affects writing. Duh! But stick with me on this. Of course if you are feeling bitter and twisted it is hard to write about a felicitous scene. But it is also hard to choose an apt word or phrase when you are distracted or tired. Samuel Coleridge claimed that Kubla Khan was inspired by an opium-induced dream, as illustrated by the poem's subtitle A Vision in a Dream, but that the composition was interrupted by a person from Porlock. This may work for poetry but my experience is that writing done while imbibing a few wines, while seemingly brilliant at the time, seems to result in rubbishy crap or maudlin ramblings.

I also find that I need a bit of a natter everyday to clear out the rubbish so I can concentrate on developments in the book without distraction. The change of job has meant I'm not getting this so I find I sit down and my mind wanders of trying to sort out everything but the book! I even start to think about what super power I could most utilise at the current point of time.

What is really irking is I have been given a wonderful plot twist and I just keep skimming over it rather than taking it up and running with it. I may need to invest in a set of handcuffs and attach myself to my desk. Currently I keep remembering things I have to buy right now. I mean I absolutely needed to buy a clock, batteries, plastic containers and coat hangers yesterday. When you can walk out the door and a fantastic choice of opportunities to hand over good money are there right on your doorstep how can I resist! I can even hear the buskers in Manners Mall and I know the Frenchman from Red Cross is out there being Gallic!

You see, even now I'm procrastinating! Instead of writing about not writing, I should be writing!

Today's beautiful word
Felicitous Marked by happiness or good fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment