Thursday, October 15, 2009

More avoidance!

I decided to do some research today. In my manuscript I decided Rosie would stalk Nick when he goes cold on her. She is supposed to stand on a street near his office and watch for him to come out and then 'accidentally' bump into him. I figured she could easily do half an hour. Well, I went out and tried it. I found a building with two exits on different streets (couldn't make it too easy) and found a position where I could see both exits. This meant standing on a street corner. I found if you stand too close to the street people stop to let you cross so that meant standing back a bit. You have to look casual but at the same time be alert. This is not easy! I wore sunglasses so I could face a different direction and look out of the corner of my eye! Lucky it was a sunny day in the capital! Holding a cup of coffee works well. So how long could I, a pretty good stalker, stalk comfortably for whilst remaining in the same place? Well, after 6 minutes I felt uncomfortable and obvious. If I was stalking someone they could easily have looked out a window and seem me! I managed 10 minutes and then feigned a text message and moved on! I learnt that you need to look like you are looking out for someone or waiting for something, that coffee is helpful and a disguise might be a good thing or just might be creepy!

Anyway, I now know that the delicate Rosie either has to successfully catch Nick or move on after 10 minutes. I guess she could sit in her car if she could find a suitable spot but that is a little too Julia Hartley Moore! I see her in dark glasses, a fedora, a trench coat and peering out from behind a newspaper while sitting in her highly distinctive car! Not a goer really!

I've done a cull of the manuscript again. So I'm now only 440 words up on where I was before! All that work for so little reward! Still Rosie has done her stalking and nearly got caught. There were no trench coats or fedoras but coffee was involved as well as some Sauvignon blanc prior!

Today's beautiful word
Iridescent varying in color when seen in different lights or from different angles.


Today's word count: 1083 words
Total word count: 17342 words

No comments:

Post a Comment